Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanks for – Wait, what are you doing?! That’s mine!!!



In my last post, I said that I would begin the first points of the “Real Man” and “Real Woman” lists from The Rebelution.  However, I didn’t realize at the time that my next post would fall just before Thanksgiving!  Being that Thanksgiving is an important topic (let alone holiday), I will save my intended post for next week.  You can find the links to the “Real Man” and “Real Woman” pages at the bottom of my last post.  (I may also be putting both of those in the “Some Awesome Links!” page of the blog.)

This past Sunday, my pastor spoke on Thanksgiving (as would be typical for the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I suppose.)  He chose however to not speak about the holiday, but instead simply about the word: Thanksgiving.  We can many times get caught up in the celebration of a day instead of actually celebrating it for the reason it was meant to be celebrated.  Sometimes though, having a day given to a certain celebration can cause us to not celebrate it the other 364 days of the year.  Think about Christmas.  It’s a wonderful time to celebrate the birth of Christ, but if you were to have “Joy to the World” playing in your car in the middle of May, people might think you’re a tad crazy.  In fact, it almost seems wrong to celebrate the birth of Christ outside of the winter season.  This can sometimes be the case for Thanksgiving, sadly.  We spend the day being thankful for what we have and forget to thank God all the other times he blesses us.  (It doesn’t help that the day after Thanksgiving we spend fighting each other to get more stuff.)  If someone were to give you a gift every week, would you simply thank them once a year?  Of course not!  We would be thankful each time.  The same is true with God, except he doesn’t just bless us each week; He blesses us every single day!

Sometimes, though, the way we thank God on Thanksgiving can sometimes be selfish in its own way.  One point that my pastor made in his message was, “Sometimes we allow ‘counting our blessings’ to dissolve into ‘counting on our blessings’.”  When I thank God for His blessings, I have to watch out for how I do so.  If I only thank Him for my belongings, it can evolve into unintentionally thanking Him for blessing me with more than someone else, thus comparing myself to others.  This isn’t the way God intended us to thank Him.  It’s perfectly fine to thank God for what we have, but He’s given us so much more than material things.  He’s given us family, friends, and even subtle blessings in our everyday life.  These are the things for which I am most thankful.

What are you most thankful for?  A job?  A friend?  A recent blessing?  Share a comment below: